|Stock Symbol Identifiers
- New York Stock Exchange
Symbols for NYSE stocks are always 1-3 letters. There may be added characters, to denote classes other than common stock.
- American Stock Exchange
Symbols for AMEX stocks are always 3 letters. There may be added characters, to denote classes other than common stock.
Multiple "Classes" - Some stocks have Multiple "Classes", such as Class A or Class B. These classes are represented with a period '.' followed by the class letter.
Preferred Stocks have a trailing hyphen '-', followed by optional "class" letters.
- ** The NASDAQ Stock Market, Inc.
A unique four or five letter symbol assigned to a Nasdaq security. If a fifth letter appears, it identifies the issue as other than a single issue of common stock or capital stock.
The fifth letter is never an 'X', to avoid naming conflicts with Mutual and Money Market Funds.
|Fifth-letter identifiers and a brief description of what each represents:
* The letter "C" as a fifth character in a security symbol, indicates that the issuer has been granted a continuance in Nasdaq under an exception to the qualification standards for a limited period.
- A - Class A
- B - Class B
- C - Issuer qualifications exceptions *
- D - New
- E - Delinquent in required filings with the SEC
- F - Foreign
- G - First convertible bond
- H - Second convertible bond, same company
- I - Third convertible bond, same company
- J - Voting
- K - Non-Voting
- L - Miscellaneous situations, such as depositary receipts, stubs, additional warrants, and units
- M - Fourth preferred, same company
- N - Third preferred, same company
- O - Second preferred, same company
- P - First preferred, same company
- Q - Bankruptcy Proceedings
- R - Rights
- S - Shares of beneficial interest
- T - With warrants or with rights
- U - Units
- V - When-issued and when distributed
- W - Warrants
- Y- ADR (American Depositary Receipt)
- Z - Miscellaneous situations such as depositary receipts, stubs, additional warrants, and units.
|**Special thanks for the invaluable assistance and courtesy provided by The NASDAQ Stock Market, Inc.
|Copyright © 2002 Stock Maven®. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.